Matthew Masayuki Uchino
Phone: (240) 818-8694
INDEPENDENT IT CONTRACTOR
July 2018--Current: Kaizen Healthcare Technologies, Baltimore, MD
April 2017--July 2018: Anne Arundel Medical Center, Annapolis, MD
As the director of an enterprise analytics/custom software team for a ~$800M healthcare system, I lead an agile team of 12 software developers, data scientists, business intelligence analysts (and interns) working on next-generation performance improvement analytics and patient engagement software.
- Ensured enterprise data assets were identified, stewarded/governed and leveraged across the enterprise.
- Collaborated with key IT and clinical stakeholders to ensure that analytics and custom software solutions met requirements and fit within the broader enterprise architecture.
- Managed the analytics team ensuring that budget and data assets/contracts were effectively utilized to support the organization's strategic goals.
- Oversaw provisioning/monitoring of virtual environments that hosted enterprise databases/warehouses, data visualization, custom .NET applications, continuous integration pipeline, machine learning, others.
- Utilized extensive understanding of both healthcare and analytics to look across the entire organization to develop and promote data consistency, integrity, and customer data-literacy.
- Inherited and continued an enterprise-wide team employee wellbeing rating in the top 95th percentile.
- Architected, developed, and implemented a commercial-ready suite of "Healthcare Starter Pack" Qlik Sense apps. These apps allowed cancellation of 3rd-party analytics/consulting contracts worth ~$0.5M, and AAMC is currently seeking a 3rd-party vendor to act as a value-added re-seller.
- Oversaw custom software development and analytics in support of a "Virtual Campus" initiative with open/patient self-scheduling, on-demand e-visits, and AAMC-custom iOS and Android mobile applications extended from Epic MyChart's SDK.
- Oversaw development of a custom web application and accompanying analytics that allowed the Human Resources to migrate the quarterly employee wellbeing survey in-house, saving the institution ~$0.25M.
- Migrated cloud Atlassian products (Jira, Confluence) to an in-house deployment and managed implementation/training from an analytics team pilot to ~170 person IT department, and passed the projects off to the service desk to grow and maintain while adoption continues enterprise-wide.
SR. SOFTWARE DEVELOPER/DATA SCIENTIST
Oct 2015--May 2017: Anne Arundel Medical Center, Annapolis, MD
As the lead developer of an enterprise analytics/custom software team, I wrote code and developed software tools for an innovative, agile team building a population health platform for a healthy Annapolis and a healthy Maryland.
- Delivered analytics and external data-integration software required by the collaborative care network to support accountable-care/cost-reduction initiatives.
- Integrated with Epic, Athena, Qlik, Collibra, and our regional HIE (CRISP) to enable cross-facility care coordination & clinical resource management.
- Built intuitive and compelling data visualizations for executive and operational leadership.
- Managed developer operations (DevOps) so that AAMC's investment in custom analytics is a long-term, maintainable endeavor.
- EHRs - Epic (Clarity, Star/Cogito, Healthy Planet), Athena
- Interfaces/APIs - Athena, Surescripts, Press Ganey, Advisory Board
- Analytics - Qlikview, SSAS, Tensorflow/IPython (experimental)
- Databases - Microsoft SQL Server
- Server-side - Microsoft .NET, IIS
- Proj Mgmt - Jira, Confluence, Github, SVN, Jenkins
- In 6 months, got up to speed on Qlikview, SSIS, Collibra, Epic's Datawarehouse & Clarity data models, .NET & MS SQL Server.
- In 1 year, developed interactive analytics for Readmissions, Diabetes Management, ED/Hospital Throughput, Blood Transfusions, Athena Professional Billing, ETL Monitoring, others.
- Implemented a continuous-delivery devops environment with Jira, Github, and a Jenkins automated build/test/deploy server.
- Co-authored several core components (HL7 CDA message-parsing, foreign data identification & normalization) for AAMC's population health web services.
- Promoted to Interim Director of the department after 18 months.
SR. SOFTWARE ENGINEER
Dec 2013--Mar 2015: Maven Medical, Baltimore, MD
As employee #1 of a venture-funded Healthcare IT startup, I helped develop a Clinical Decision Support (CDS) cloud platform that integrated with Epic, Vista, Allscripts, and Athena.
- “Transparent” (Health Cost Control): Desktop ChoosingWisely notifications and a "Mint" web-app to visualize cost categories, attribution and quality data for ACOs.
- “Pathways” (Decision Support): Desktop & web notifications at the point of care expand into interactive, patient-specific flowchart-based care guidelines.
- Worked with engineering team to define and implement custom software for clinical partner institutions and investors.
- Mentored junior engineers on healthcare technologies (HL7, SNOMED), HIPAA, security best practices.
- Co-wrote, deployed, and maintained core server-side infrastructure components for a high-performance, HL7 FHIR-based clinical decision support engine.
- EHRs - Allscripts (App Store Approved,) Epic, VistA, Athena
- Databases - PostgreSQL
- Server-side - CentOS, Python 3, Nginx, RabbitMQ
- Proj Mgmt - Jira, Confluence, Github
- Cloud Svcs - Amazon S3, Google Cloud Compute
- Promoted to senior role after 2 months based on performance.
- Helped ship a minimum viable product to investors and business partners on time, in 90 days.
- Lead integration efforts with Allscripts that resulted in acceptance to their EHR App Store in 2 months (average 6-8 months).
- Architected core infrastructure components in a way that helped the company pivot and get a second product to market in another 90 days.
- Authored an HL7 FHIR (Fast Health Interoperable Resources) Python 3 library.
CLINICAL SYSTEMS ANALYST/DEVELOPER II
Jul 2012--Feb 2014: University of Maryland Medical System, Baltimore, MD
As part of an Epic Inpatient project team for a large enterprise medical system, I worked closely with clinicians and stakeholders across hospitals to develop standardized clinical charting tools and reports.
- Inpatient EpicCare, Security/Access Management, Clinical Data Integration
- Implemented a range of EHR components: flowsheets, notes, orders, alerts, operational reports, etc
- EHRs - Epic (Clinical Documentation, Security)
- Proj Mgmt - Quickbase, Sharepoint, MediaWiki
- Developed a custom project management app adopted by 40+ and used for implementing Epic at 3 hospitals.
- Reduced the time to provision clinical staff accounts from 2 weeks to 2 days.
- Proficiency in EpicCare modules in 1/4 of the time normally required.
Oct 2010--Jul 2012: Harmony / Medical Technologies Inc., Ellicott City, MD
As a clinical implementation specialist for an EHR and Practice Management company, I installed, configured and customized software for a variety of medical specialties from general surgery to gastroenterology to psychiatry.
- Installed hardware/software, built/configured/customized EHRs for specialty-specific workflows
- Managed financial reports for medical billing clients using SQL, Excel, VBA
- Developed billing/demographic interfaces using FourJs 4GL
- EHRs - SOAPware, Harmony Practice Management
- Databases - IBM Informix, PostgreSQL
- Server-side - 4J's Genero
- Proj Mgmt - Twiki, Visual SourceSafe
- Promoted from junior to associate technical staff after 3 months.
- Automated software training curriculum with Adobe eLearning Suite 2.5.
- Reduced time to process financial analysis reports from 1 day to 1 hour.
RADIOLOGY ASSISTANT, PART TIME
Jul 2009--Jan 2011: Center Radiology P.C., Washington Hospital Center, DC
- Assisted radiologists with triaging cases, routing communications to/from other clinical staff, and clinical documentation
- PACS/dictation/EHR software support
RESEARCH ASSISTANT, PART TIME
Aug 2008--Oct 2010: University of Maryland, College Park
Neural Engineering & Smart Prosthetics Laboratory - Conducted neuroimaging experiments with near-Infrared Spectroscopy & MATLAB
Evolution of Eusociality in Termites - Battled termites to evaluate evolutionary pressures leading to eusociality, a peculiar biosocial phenomenon
HOWARD & MONTGOMERY COMMUNITY COLLEGES
Sep 2011--Apr 2012: Computer Science, non-degree seeking
- Algorithms & Data Structures (Java)
- Continuing Education Java Level II
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND, COLLEGE PARK
Aug 2007--May 2010: B.S. Cell Biology & Molecular Genetics
- Distinguished Scholar, College of Chemical and Life Sciences
- Co-Speaker 2018 Chicago, Becker's Hospital Review Conference: "Using Data Analytics and Performance Improvement to Lead a Cultural Change that Improves ED Throughput and Patient Satisfaction"
- 2nd Place 2017 Baltimore, Abilities Hackathon: "Lucille: A sassy patient outreach bot"
- Co-Speaker 2016 Wisconsin, Epic User Group Meeting: "Telling the Full Patient Story: Interoperability-Driven Analytics"
- Co-Speaker 2016 Philadelphia, Qlikview Mid-Atlantic Healthcare Forum: "UI/UX Design Principles"
- 1st Place 2014 Baltimore, Johns Hopkins Business Case Competition: “Pharmaceutical Acquisition of Medical Foods Company”
- Finalist 2014 D.C., Medstar Hackathon: "Improve the Waiting Room Experience"